Friday, January 26, 2007

Change of Pace

For much of the last three years, and before that, nearly every summer in college, I've had two jobs. I've worked 60-hour weeks (or 70 or 80) for so long that I'd forgotten what it feels like to have only one employer, one major commitment per day, one schedule to keep track of. And now? I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (free falllllling...). And It Is Glorious.

(Poignant observation from Mom: It's called having a life.)

In honor of my new-found freedom, and the fact that the weekend is rapidly approaching, I present to you:

Things I Have Done Since Quitting Banana
  • Spent an evening watching What Not To Wear
  • Accepted an invitation to go skiing on less than 48 hours notice
  • Cleaned the house
  • Grocery shopped
  • Gone out with the girls
  • Gone out with boys
  • Gone to church (no, this was not necessitated by either of the two previous activities)
  • Cooked dinner
  • Read a newspaper
  • Gone to the gym
  • Arranged tickets to a fundraiser, followed by an evening of drinking
  • Invited people over for the Super Bowl, luring them with the promise of ooey, gooey, cheesy football snacks, which means I will again be grocery shopping and cooking, and that's OK, because I have the time!
  • Booked a trip for a long weekend in DC (February 22-26, mark your calendars)

Do you know what I'm going to do tonight? Yeah, me neither. But you know what I will not be doing tonight? Going to the mall. And that's all that matters.

3 Comments:

At Fri Jan 26, 10:47:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME.

Congrats on the one-job, single-income gig. I admire you for sticking with multiple jobs for so long - I CANNOT FATHOM.

And yet, I understand that sometimes it's just a necessity.

 
At Sat Jan 27, 02:42:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. For three years of undergrad and three years of grad school, I was taking 18-21 credits a semester, 12 over summer, as an undergrad I worked full time over summer 10-20 hours a week during the school year, as a grad between TAing and working I was working 40 hours a week in addition to a full load of classes, and Joel was doing the same thing. Our final spring in Madison, the only time time between 8am and midnight that Joel and I were ever both available were Saturdays, Wednesday evening (which was gaming night), and Thursday afternoon. Luckily, we had the same classes and often had overlapping shifts at work, so we did get to see each other. But for four years, I'd had one-day weekends.

Then we moved over here. We have no teaching responsibilities, we have no jobs outside of our Ph.D. research, the first year we took a few classes, this year we're not taking any. We're home most evenings around 6pm, we have two day weekends. It's been simply amazing.

 
At Sat Jan 27, 01:13:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the working prowess slash willpower. I've tried multitasking with the working and going to school full time. Can.Not.Hack.It.

Plus now you have more time to blog! It's a wonderful thing, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home