Friday, January 12, 2007

Well. That was fleeting.

I got my hair cut today, which is always a delightful experience. I don't know if it's the scalp massage, the general feeling of pampering, or the lovely things Frank says about me, but I always leave there happier than when I arrived.

Today, Frank's comments ranged from "I love your sweater! Feels so soft...like Angora, almost." (Yes, that's because it's 50% Angora.) to "Your eyebrows are perfect! Do you have them waxed?" Um, no I tweeze them myself. "Holy crap! They're gorgeous!" (Yes, I think so, too.) to persistent head-shaking at how stupid boys are. "What is wrong with them? Don't they know a good thing when they see it? God, I'd snap you up in a second and never let you get away!" (Yes, what, exactly is wrong with them? I'd like to know, too.)

So, I left there feeling like a million bucks, having spent only half that, and looking like this:

Jan 12
Not pictured: 40 degree weather, annoying wind whipping
hair into my face, and creepy moving company guys staring
from the parking lot.


Back in the office, I checked my e-mail and was immediately hit with some rather unwelcome news. Apparently I'm still a 19-year old sorority girl, because upon hearing this not-so-pleasant news, my first reaction was to get drunk and screw. (It's an expression, people; let's not take this too literally.) Not surprisingly, neither beer nor someone to hook up with magically materialized in my office. Instead I settled for a seething e-mail rant, half of which was conducted entirely in capital letters. Good times.

So, as long as my good mood's been shot to hell and we're talking about stupid boys, let me ask you this: Is it acceptable to stop seeing someone because you don't like the way he walks? And, is the mere fact that you're considering this definitive proof that maybe, just maybe, you're too picky?

7 Comments:

At Fri Jan 12, 05:50:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets break it down. Why do we date? We use the dating process to find a special someone we are willing to spend the rest of our lives with and possibly even procreate. So, is it being picky when we're talking about the rest of our natural lives? No way. Especially when dealing with a trait that may be passed down to children. Who wants funny walking children?

I find that my talent for nit-picking faults is a gift. A gift I have gotten a lot of mileage out of in my life. But, I have also found that I tend to brush aside "faults" in people I "like". So, by my own persoanl experience and logic(?!), if you're focusing in on this, he probably doesn't have enough personality to overcome it. He's got to go.

P.S. Sorry funny walking guy. Nothing personal dude. I walk funny too. My shoulders sway like a knuckle dragging ape in the jungle. Disappointing, I know. I should have your back but I can't help but calling it like I see it.

 
At Sat Jan 13, 05:52:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picky is frustrating, but it is also necessary. I think Dave is right...there must be other things about this guy that are bothering you, or the way he walks would be quirky rather than funny.

Or you have a really strange walk obsession.

God, I hope this doesn't translate to your relationships with chick friends. Now I'm going to be all worried about my slight limp...

BTW, super cute cut!

 
At Sat Jan 13, 09:19:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dated a guy with a funny walk and I thought it was cute at the time. He was also only about an inch taller than me, but he was really smart and a huge political geek. I take it that this guy doesn't have as much going for him.

I think picky is good. Settling down, after all, should not involve settling.

 
At Mon Jan 15, 07:36:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... too picky. Seriously.

Then again, I have a funny walk myself, so perhaps I'm just hedging my bets. I have a tendency to do that.

 
At Mon Jan 15, 02:29:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first, its okay to be picky. I realize the times I haven't been, I've also ended up really unhappy.
And, second, I've also realized that when something somewhat superficial is bothering me (like a walk) its really something else more complicated that happens to be rubbing me wrong. You know, like that time you blow up at the boy you're dating about the way he's chewing, but really you're pissed about something lame he did two weeks before. And he's left wondering why you don't like the way he chews. Okay, I digress. But, you get the picture.

 
At Wed Jan 17, 02:50:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beat myself up for being picky in my single days, but I think the earlier comments are on target.

In retrospect, funny hair guy couldn't hold an intelligent conversation. Also, I shattered my rule to never date an obsessed sports fan (at least two sports writers have my husband on speed dial in case they can't get to their reference books.)

But he's also wicked smart, funny, sarcastic and deeply good. I think our instincts know even when we don't.

 
At Wed Jan 17, 10:16:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee. Nothing is every TOO picky. I had a list. My roommate thought I was TOO PICKY. But, I'm doing okay. lol

She, on the other hand, broke up with a guy because he didn't know was rivets were.

lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home