Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Blog Envy

Ok, I'll admit it: I have blog envy. Yes, I am envious of my friends (real and virtual) who write funny, witty, entertaining blog entries on a fairly regular basis. And who, apparently, don't mind sharing some pretty intimate details with strangers-from-the-internet and, worse, close personal friends. I feel inadequate on many levels. First off, my blog (as you can see) is not nearly as pretty as many of the others I read. However, there is a perfectly good explanation for that: I'm cheap. Ok, I'm not that cheap, but I am one of the eight people out there with a blog who does not aspire to be an actual, published author. Thus, paying a site to host a (much prettier) blog appears to be not a good use of funds, insofar as it does nothing to promote my career. On the other hand, paying Comcast $55.07 each month for the privilege of watching West Wing reruns and ESPN for a combined total of, oh, maybe 10 hours a month is a perfectly justifiable expense. Also, a pretty blog would require me to have web design skills, which I do not.

Second, as I have already mentioned, I have no author aspirations. I loved English class and am a great consumer of the written word, but the words "creative writing" were enough to make me curl up in a fetal position and wait for the storm to pass, figuratively speaking. Perhaps literally, too, but you'd have to ask my classmates; I've blocked out those memories. Instead, I am a technical writer. I take facts, analyze them, and present them in a manner that leads you to a particular conclusion. Namely, that I am right. And providing you good counsel with my recommendations. Come to think of it, that might not be so different from creative writing after all.

Finally, I am amazed by others' ability to bare themselves publicly. I am an intrinsically private person. If you met me, though, you might not realize it. I am quite the extrovert and do a terrific job talking about me and the goings-on in my life, and my views on particular subjects (politics, football, this season's cute shoes), but you probably would walk away not really knowing what I do, where I live, or if I care more about cute shoes or football. I started a blog last summer, shared the address with exactly one person, and, after a couple of months, gave up because I couldn't handle the pressure of knowing that she was reading it. So I started what is essentially my journal in an online format, which you do not get to read. (Though there may be some cross-pollination, in which case you will be invited to read selected entries from said journal.) There are some things I am just not ready to share with everyone. Or with the specific people about whom I rant periodically. They don't know who they are, and I'm not going to tell them!

So here we are again. Please bear with me as I struggle to find a voice that is both entertaining and thought-provoking. Most important of all, please leave comments! In part I am doing this as a professional endeavor: the ability to write columns, editorial pieces and speeches is a skill I need to develop for my next foray (or anticipated foray). You get to be my first critics! I hope you are willing to indulge me in some heady policy discourse, in addition to the not-so-exciting happenings of my life. Also, leave comments because I am an information whore and I would do anything to know what everyone is thinking at every single moment! How will I ever know, if you don't tell me?

I apologize in advance if you are offended in any way by what I write. I typically do not intend to offend (unless you're a Chicago Bears fan, in which case the offense is wholly intentional). My political/religious/
moral views are entirely my own; I do not expect you to share them. But it would be nice if you did. Also, sometimes I swear. A lot. Finally, if you know me and you do not want to be specifically named in this blog, please contact me. I can guarantee you anonymity, but please be warned that this promise will be invalidated in the event that anything I write is published in the New York Times. Again, my apologies, but some things are out of my hands.

I think that's enough of a preface. If you're really interested, you can go read some of my old stuff (as soon as I figure out how to post it here). But why dwell on the past? Life has a way of moving on, irrespective of our readiness for it.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jan 03, 10:23:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with being a comment whore. Welcome to our sick sisterhood.

 
At Wed Jan 04, 08:20:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add this to list of reason I don't need cable to be informed, entertained, or otherwise preoccupied away from my daily life. Have fun.

 

<< Home