Friday, October 20, 2006

Makin' a List, Checkin' It Twice, Gonna Find Out Who's Naughty and -- Oh Wait, Wrong Season

This weekend's destination is Yosemite -- someplace I've intended to go since moving to California. I'm leaving at the perfectly respectable time of 8 a.m. EDT, but I thought I'd give y'all something to do while I'm away (and something for me to think about on my drive through the Central Valley).

So, here's your assignment: help me craft a list of things to do before I die have children turn thirty. Lately I've been focusing on places to go while I'm located out West, but don't let that limit you. There are LOTS of things I've not done, and probably more things that I've never even thought of, so let's hear your suggestions.

I'm anal enough to actually keep a list, and cross things off once they've been completed, so keep adding as you think of new ideas. This is your chance to boss me around -- take full advantage!

  • Eat dinner at a real restaurant, all by myself
  • Ski. Like, real skiing, not Wisconsin used-to-be-a-landfill skiing.
  • Go to Disneyland
  • Hike Mount Shasta
  • Go hiking in Lake Tahoe
  • Visit friends in Portland
  • Run a half marathon
  • Go to Seattle
  • Go to a movie alone
  • Go to Canada -- Vancouver?
  • Vacation in Hawaii
  • Visit Yosemite
  • GO TO EUROPE

8 Comments:

At Sat Oct 21, 04:06:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you go to a movie alone, you'll never want to go with anyone ever again! clb

 
At Sat Oct 21, 06:13:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to climb Mt Shasta too. Done everything else, then I'm over 30, too. Spent a lot of time in Yosemite a long time ago; wow, what a place!

 
At Sun Oct 22, 02:02:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go to Europe, I highly recommend Amsterdam - and not just 'cause I've been living here the last year. :) It has all the advantages of what you'd want in a European city (history! culture! canals! good food!) but the center of the city is small enough that you can walk everywhere - from one end to the other, it's never more than about an hour, and most things you can get to in 20-30 minutes, if that. Not to mention that if you fly via IcelandAir, you can take a day layover in Reykjavik and visit the hot springs, and *that* is definitely something I recommend everyone does at least once!

 
At Sun Oct 22, 11:49:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Yosemite again in the spring, when the waterfalls will really be moving.

Oh, and the half-marathon thing? When you are ready, I have just the running club...

Here are my ideas:

1. Drive up the Pacific coast
2. Go to the Grand Canyon (that one is still on my list, too)
3. Go white water rafting on the American River in the spring
4. Visit Mono Lake...it is like no other place I've ever been
5. Walk the span of the Brooklyn Bridge...not a West Coast thing obviously, but it's one thing I really wish I'd done in New York

 
At Mon Oct 23, 09:38:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must add "see the Alamo"! Because it is FASCINATING! Ok, it's not, but it would be fun if you came to visit Lori and me!

 
At Mon Oct 23, 01:56:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too late, Lisa! I've already taken her to the Alamo. Where were you?
And Katie, I cannot recommend the pain au chocolat in France strongly enough. Once you have had one (ok, LOTS) you will feel sure that you could die, er, have children, wait...turn thirty happily. (Ok, not "happily". That is a lie. I must have eaten 20 of those suckers and I am still not going to turn 30 happily.)

 
At Mon Oct 23, 05:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Allison said...

go to canada! i am canadian, and i must my country is awesome lol. and vancouver is very pretty i live in a suburb not fair away. but go in the summer, its not grey and dreary then.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 06:32:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't already (sorry I can't remember), drive through the upper East coast in the fall during prime colors. I'm thinking mostly the far part of northern Maine. If you do go, take me with you. That's one trip I've always wanted to make.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home