Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Thrill of Victory...

You ever have one of those days where the world just flat-out wins? Delivers a knock-out punch in round 8? Rattles off 10 points in the last two minutes on the clock to put the game out of reach, and then seals the deal with a three-pointer at the buzzer? That was yesterday, when I was the first one in the parking lot and, fifteen hours later, the last one to leave. When I finally arrived home, I had the mental acuity of an intoxicated chimpanzee. I had to talk myself through the steps of turning the car off, removing the keys from the ignition, opening the car door, getting out, retrieving my purse, and locking the doors before I stumbled up to the house and into bed.

As it turns out, yesterday might have been a draw.

This morning I managed to get up, put together an outfit and head to the gym at a reasonable hour. Getting in the car, I was somewhat amazed that I was on track for the day, considering how roughly yesterday ended. I did a quick mental check to ensure that I had everything I needed. Hair dryer, check. Make-up, check. Shoes, nylons, proper undergarments. Check, check, check. All righty, then.

I arrived at the gym, glorious caffeine surging through my system, ready to get those happy endorphins flowing. I pulled my gym bag and shower crap out of the backseat, tossed my purse in the trunk, and only then did it occur to me that I was, in fact, missing a component of my outfit. Namely, the suit portion of the outfit. The suit that was sitting on my bed right next to the packed gym bag that I grabbed on my way out the door. Awesome.

So, that's my day today. 7:00 a.m. and the world has already won. Tonight, I'm going to try actually being drunk instead of the pseudo-drunkenness of last night. Pray for me tomorrow morning.

4 Comments:

At Wed Oct 18, 01:40:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, but i can't help but laugh....clb

 
At Wed Oct 18, 02:46:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently I found myself standing in a client's machine shop with my fly open. Professionally, I am a somewhat sophisticated financial advisor. This kind of thing is, well, troubling. When I fly airplanes I use a checklist to see that I do everything - maybe we both need a clothing checklist. Mine would read something like this: "Pants - ON. Zipper - UP" Yours might be somewhat different. I won't speculate on that.

 
At Thu Oct 19, 06:55:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best thing about college was that if you were having one of Those Days, you could just scrap it, go home, and go back to bed. In the grown-up working world, not so much.

 
At Thu Oct 19, 07:33:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only I could join you for drunk night tonight as I also am already having a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home