Sunday, October 15, 2006

If You Exhibit Acts of Supreme Dorkage in a Forest, but No One Is There to Witness Them, Does it Make You a Dork?

Auburn State Recreational Area -- hundreds of miles of trails, but not a single map or park ranger to consult!

IMG_0645

Never hike alone. Don't go running alone. In fact, don't go anywhere alone ever again, or a mountain lion will eat you!!!

IMG_0616

It's not really fall yet in the valley, but it is up here.

IMG_0617

Can anyone identify this tree?

IMG_0628

I parked at the bottom of the valley, on the banks of the lake, which meant that I had to walk up to the trailhead -- 1.4 miles, all uphill. It put the "hill" setting on the eliptical trainer to shame!

IMG_0641

Leaving the park, I noticed the parking lot just past the turn-in that would've been less than a quarter of a mile walk to the trailhead. Downhill. Awesome.

IMG_0639

And then there was the time when, hearing a biker approaching from behind, I started to move out of the way. Then he spoke to me and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

IMG_0623

Um, if there's someone there to witness it? Yeah, you're a dork.

IMG_0630

See all the day's pictures here.

IMG_0622

6 Comments:

At Mon Oct 16, 05:15:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Join the club, Dork.

 
At Mon Oct 16, 09:40:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Fall? You mean somewhere it is not 86 degrees and raining at the same time? No, I can't ID the tree, but the aborist in my office did. She wants to know what the prize is...

 
At Mon Oct 16, 03:15:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a couple of guesses on the tree - coastal redwood, Shagbark hickory, McNab cypress?

 
At Mon Oct 16, 08:35:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In answer to your question, if it is at all regarding myself, the answer is always YES. Even if no one is there to see it, I will tell everyone AND the internet about it.

Oh, and I would totally have made enough noise to protect you from the insidious mountain lions...if I had been there. *sniff*

 
At Tue Oct 17, 07:44:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty! i work at a state park in the summer time. we have 4000 acres and one time this biker came up to me (i was working in the booth that sells passes) and said, "Did you know there are snakes in the park? And they're on the bike trails?"

"Yes," I said gently, "We can't get rid of the snakes for you." Thinking to myself, This isn't Ireland...

 
At Tue Oct 17, 08:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Daily Tragedies said...

CLK -- she wins the title of Queen Dork for a day. Oh, ok, she can have the title all week. Do tell!

Jaelith -- Couldn't find a pic for the McNab cypress, but definitely not the other two. This is why I'm a dork -- I wanted a CA field guide like you can't believe.

See, people? I'm not crazy! Maura WORKS at a state park. AS AN EMPLOYEE. Where people get to ASK HER QUESTIONS. California, is that really too much to ask?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home