Sunday, November 26, 2006

2,169th

I hope you all survived Thanksgiving weekend...no salmonella, no fisticuffs at the mall over the last wool sweater, no crazy relatives with Dick Cheney-like aim and access to firearms.

As for me, I made it through the 10k healthy enough to stuff myself full of Turkey Day goodness. I'm sure you've been on pins and needles, waiting to hear all about the race, and far be it from me to keep the people waiting.

The race itself wasn't very exciting, no good stories to tell, so let's do it by the numbers, shall we?

[The mildly entertaining moment of race prep came last Friday, when I went to Fleet Feet to register for the race. In the course of conversation, the sales guy and I were discussing appropriate breakfast choices for the morning of the race. At one point he suggested a couple of bagels. I pointed out that was approximately four times as many calories as I usually intake. He then suggested a banana, which I readily agreed to. And a Power Bar. (which puts us back in the 450-500 calorie range) Okay, um, well, thanks for your help!]

Where was I? Oh, right. 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) in 1 hour, 12 minutes, 30.1 seconds. Pace of 11:42/mile. 2169th place.

I felt good, probably could've pushed the pace a little bit, but my goal was 12-minute miles, which I obviously did. The funny thing is, I was happy with my time when I finished the race, but when I checked the results page and discovered I was 2169th...well, buncha ignorant sluts I was a smidge less than happy. (Never mind the fact that the winner ran it in less than half an hour, a feat which I not only cannot match, but do not even aspire to.)

Eh, onward and upward, right? Just after my knees finally stopped hurling tiny little daggers at me from the inside out, I started looking for a 10-miler. Which, apparently, no one puts on. Or no one who lists their events on active.com sooooo, I'm left with only one option for increasing my distance: a half marathon. Dammit. Perhaps before that race I won't find myself negotiating the breakfast menu!

1 Comments:

At Mon Nov 27, 06:10:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, killer time! Of course, this is coming from the girl who is lucky to do 16 minute miles.

There is a 10 miler, but it doesn't come around until September. Check it out: http://www.buffalochips.com/Races/Stampede/stampede2006.htm

A half marathon is only 3 miles longer :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home