Sunday, August 13, 2006

And Now, For Something Completely Different...

The lovely Horrible Warning has tagged me for a meme. And while I discovered this in a timely fashion, I've been a little slow to acutally DO IT ALREADY because I've been bitter and angry and vodka-infused busy this week.

Anyhow, here it is, the Wikipedia Meme.

1. Go to Wikipedia.
2. In the Search box, type your birth month and day (but not year).
3. List three events that happened on your birthday.
4. List two important birthdays and one interesting death.
5. One holiday or observance (if any).
6. Tag more poor, unsuspecting suckers people.

My Results

Events
627 - Battle of Nineveh: A Byzantine army under Emperor Heraclius defeated Emperor Khosrau II's Persian forces, commanded by General Rhahzadh.
Duh. I can't believe you didn't know that.

1531 - Apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe to Juan Diego in Mexico City.
I actually did know this, though I had no idea what year it was. The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe is on my birthday, and, as she is the patron saint of the Americas, it's often noted at church.

(All the non-Catholics reading this are either asleep by now or frantically looking up terms like "patron saint." Heathens.)

2000 - The United States Supreme Court released its decision in Bush v. Gore.
Maybe we just won't talk about this one, mm-kay? Other than to say GAH!!! and Way to ruin my birthday forever, jerks!

Births/Deaths
Born 1745 - John Jay, 1st Chief Justice of the United States
Born 1915 - Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor
Born 1924 - Ed Koch, Mayor of New York City
Born 1940 - Dionne Warwick, American singer
Born 1977 - Orlando Hudson, American baseball player

Yes, I know I'm not following the directions, but I'm allowed to take liberties like that. My birthday-sharers are awesome! Someday, I'll sing my way to being the mayor of New York, which will be the perfect preparation for my appointment as Supreme Court justice, don't you think?

Also, I'd like to point out that the O-Dog is one year older and approximately 75,458,043 times richer than me, which just does not seem fair. AND he gets a Golden Glove! Nobody gives me gold crafted in the shape of a glove! Or any other shape for that matter. *Pout.*


Died 1889 - Robert Browning, British poet
Died 1929 - Charles Goodnight, American cattle baron

Ok, seriously, nobody cool died on my birthday. Except for that cattle baron guy -- how cool would it be to be a cattle baron? Filet Mignon every night!

Also, I think we should note the death of AMERICAN DEMOCRACY AS WE KNEW IT. (See "Events" above.)

Holidays/Observances
As I mentioned, in the Catholic church it is the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Also, in Kenya it's Jamhuri Day, celebrating their independence from Great Britain.

I'll refrain from tagging others (except for Lori, because I'm mean like that), but if you've nothing better to do at work this week, pop on over to Wikipedia and leave your results in the comments to amuse the rest of us.

And, for the record, my birthday is December 12. Feel free to send cards, gifts, Golden Gloves, diamond tiaras, etc. Or just cake. Cake is good.

3 Comments:

At Sun Aug 13, 09:11:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is not even funny that the court decision was on YOUR birthday. WTF?!? Somebody has a sick sense of humor...

I'll mark my calendar :)

 
At Mon Aug 14, 02:17:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I do have a post waiting to be...well...posted, (read: not yet written, but the photos are in my camera) but I'll get right on this just as soon as I get around to it.

 
At Tue Aug 15, 01:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger soundedfury said...

I actually had a ton of stuff to do at work today, but I needed a break so I filled it out.

p.s. I hate you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home