Thursday, May 11, 2006

Inner Dialog

Calm, rational adult voice: You know what you have to do.

Six-year-old-who-refuses-to-go-to-bed-because-it's-summer-and-still-
light-out-and-there's-plenty-of-basketball-to-be-played-voice: I don't wanna!

Yes, but, you have to.

But. I. Don't. Want. To.

That's just part of being a grown-up. We choose to do things that are in our best interest, even if we don't really want to.

Sigh.

You've been here before. And you know you need to leave. Sure, the streets have different names, but the signs are all the same.

*Pout.* Fine. But I don't have to like it.

No, none of us do.

2 Comments:

At Thu May 11, 01:27:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. The posts here are taking on a Holden Caufield or I am the Cheese, feel.

You know blogging in a post-modern, you can't trust the first-person narrator, style would be interesting.

 
At Thu May 11, 09:07:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh. This is the story of my life. Particularly the past two weeks. *Things* have happened with my husband's job, and we're both working late these days.

He's working at work, and I'm working at home, by watching Law & Order.

Very important business that I'm taking care of. Very important.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home