Tuesday, April 25, 2006

New Mantra

I will not freak out. I will not freak out. I will not freak out.

I'd love to tell you all about it, but that would be breaking the cardinal rule of blogging: Thou Shalt Not Discuss Work on Thy Blog.

I will not freak out. I will not freak out. I will not freak out.

I had two rather entertaining experiences in one 24-hour period. (Ok, maybe not so entertaining, as my judgment is severely impaired due to extreme sleep deprivation, but two work-related experiences that I can safely share with the Internet.)

First, apropos of nothing, I said to my colleague, "I quit." The look of sheer terror that crossed his face...priceless. I meant something like "I want to quit this project, I want to quit thinking about it, I want to quit worrying about it, I want to quit spending time and energy on it" and he thought I meant "I'm leaving this job, effective today," which would certainly be cause for panic. While I hadn't really considered that second option, I think I could be easily persuaded.

I will not freak out. I will not freak out. I will not freak out.

Also, I had someone say to me, "I really admire your work ethic, but don't you think life would be better if you lightened up a little?"

Number one, if I had a dollar for every time someone suggested I lighten up, I'd never need to work again. Two, I've been hearing that my whole life and I will lighten up when I am GOOD AND READY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, SO YOU CAN JUST SHOVE OFF. Ahem.

I will not freak out. I will not freak out. I will not freak out.

3 Comments:

At Wed Apr 26, 09:51:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, c'mon. Lighten up.

 
At Wed Apr 26, 11:03:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah see this is why it wouldn't work. Cuz in a race to the Type A Personality Hall of Fame you would have won and well I have my pride.

 
At Wed Apr 26, 06:23:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I've never told you to lighten up, realizing that you're one of those people physically unable to adopt my life philosophy: "eh." Sure, you'd be less stressed but also less thin as you wouldn't be able to talk yourself into getting out of bed to work out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home